Magic Shell is a fun chocolate ice cream topping that hardens on top of the cold ice cream! Made with just two ingredients, chocolate chips and coconut oil, this has to go down as the fastest and easiest ice cream topping ever!
Ice Cream Toppings
Making ice cream toppings at home is not only easy but versatile and delicious! It doesn’t take long, and is a fun little activity to do with kids right before devouring some ice cream on a hot (or lonely) day when you need a little pick me up!
Magic shell was one of those ice cream toppings I always made a bee line to when I was growing up. It was like.. magic.. 😉 I loved how it went seemingly from a liquid to a hard shell in a matter of seconds!
Magic shell isn’t the only ice cream topping you can make at home, raspberry syrup is a favorite of mine to put on ice cream, too.
What is in Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping?
To make this ice cream topping, you’ll only need two ingredients!!
- Chocolate Chips: use your favorite chocolate chips here. We like milk chocolate at my house, so that is what I generally use. If you prefer dark chocolate, pleeeeease use dark chocolate chips! You will be much happier with the final result.
- Coconut Oil: You will want your coconut oil in the solid form, not liquid! Coconut oil can be found down the baking isle, near the vegetable oil and canola oil. It will come in a jar, something like a peanut butter jar. It will turn into a liquid while microwaving, but make sure to measure it when it is solid.
How to Melt Chocolate in the Microwave
To make the homemade magic shell we will microwave the chocolate chips and coconut oil until melted and combined. Melting chocolate in the microwave is actually a really easy and fail proof thing to do when you follow the correct method.
Chocolate can get hard and burnt if it gets too hot. The key to melting the chocolate without burning it is to melt it in short cycles. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Repeat that until you have smooth chocolate.
In this case, where we are melting the chocolate with the oil, it is important to note that the oil will look separated from the chocolate but stirring vigorously will bring the chocolate and oil together. It should have a pretty thin consistency.
How to store Homemade Magic Shell
You should store the magic shell at room temperature.. if you have any leftover. 😉 Your leftovers will solidify to a thick creamy chocolate (think Nutella texture) but it will easily be brought back to a liquid with a quick zap in the microwave.
The homemade magic shell can be kept at room temperature for about a week. Do not store in the fridge as it will harden.
FREE 5 DAY INSTANT POT COURSE!!
From unboxing to PRO in just 5 days!! Get comfortable with your Instant Pot, do the water test & GET COOKING!! Full Recipes and exclusive Q&A support included. 🙂
You have Successfully Subscribed!
Looking for more fun Dessert Recipes? Check out this list!
Magic Shell Recipe
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil measured while solid
- In a medium microwave bowl, measure out the chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Microwave for 30 seconds and then stir. Repeat until the chocolate is melted and stir until smooth.
- Serve over ice cream and allow it to sit for about 30 seconds until it sets firm.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week.