Thank you Argo® Corn Starch for sponsoring this post. Celebrate sweet moments together with Argo®!
Enjoy zesty and irresistible lemon crinkle cookies that burst with citrus flavor. These soft, lemony treats are perfect for brightening up any occasion.
Have sunshine no matter the time of year with my bright and delicious Lemon Crinkle Cookies! If you’ve been craving a burst of zesty goodness you’re in for a treat. These cookies are a tangy twist on the classic crinkle cookie, boasting a perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors that will transport your taste buds straight to lemony paradise.
Baked to golden perfection with a chewy interior and powdered sugar coating, they’re an irresistible satisfying treat. Whether you’re a lemon lover searching for a new go-to recipe or simply need a little zing in your day, these Lemon Crinkle Cookies are here to elevate your baking game and put a smile on your face. Say goodbye to bland and hello to citrusy bliss!
Ingredients in Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- Salted butter- I always use salted butter in my recipes because I find that is what most people have at home. If you just have unsalted, don’t sweat it! All you’ll need to do is add an extra pinch or two of salt to the cookie dough.
- Granulated sugar- Because we want this to be light, lemony and yellow we are only using granulated sugar here to keep things exactly how we want them.
- Lemon extract- We don’t use a ton, but this will really boost that lemon flavor over the edge.
- Lemon juice- Yes, fresh lemon juice is going straight into the cookie dough.
- Lemon zest- And if we didn’t already have enough lemon, the zest will take the lemon flavor to the top notch.
- Flour- No special flour needed here, just all purpose flour.
- Argo® Corn starch- This right here is the star of the show. We add corn starch to the cookie dough to make the cookie extra fluffy and soft. We also will add it to the powdered sugar that the cookie gets rolled in, but more on that later.
- Baking soda
- Yellow food coloring- This is totally optional. I like the way the yellow looks against the white powdered sugar crinkles.
- Powdered sugar- Of course, you can’t have crinkle cookies without powdered sugar!
How to make Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- First thing first- preheat that oven! Nothing is worse than getting your cookie dough finished, scooped, rolled and arranged to remember you have a cold oven. Preheat to 375°F, pretty please.
- Next, we will cream together the butter and granulated sugar until light in color and fluffy in texture.
- While the mixer is still slowly mixing, add in the egg, lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly.
- Stop the mixer, scrape the sides and then add in the dry ingredients (ahem, flour, corn starch, soda and salt)
- Mix until a soft dough forms and then add in your yellow food coloring, if desired.
- Scoop the cookie dough into your desired size (I used a #40 scoop, or about 1 ½ tbsp of dough for each cookie).
- First roll the cookie dough in granulated sugar- this will melt and harden in the high temp of the oven to give a little sugary crust on the cookie which will help the cookie crack and crinkle like it should.
- Next, roll the cookie in a mixture of powdered sugar and Argo® Corn starch (about 1 tbsp of corn starch to ½ cup of powdered sugar). The corn starch is a wonderful thickening agent. Because of the lemon juice in the cookie dough, the powdered sugar tends to disappear in the oven. Corn starch to the rescue, though- with the added corn starch and its thickening power, the powdered sugar stays exactly where we want it.
- Repeat these steps with the remaining dough and arrange on a parchment or silicone lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 9-11 minutes or until the cookies have crinkles, spread, and are barely starting to turn golden brown on the edges.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before enjoying.
Should I chill the cookie dough before baking lemon crinkle cookies?
Not with this recipe! My goal is to always get the cookies from dough to belly as soon as possible so I developed this recipe with that in mind- no chill time required.
Are there any variations or add-ins I can try to customize the flavor of my Lemon Crinkle Cookies?
Definitely! Try adding white chocolate chips or even poppyseeds for a lemon poppyseed crinkle cookie!
What is the roll of Argo® Corn Starch in these Lemon Cookies?
Argo® Corn starch is responsible for the ultra soft cookie base and the fact that the powdered sugar doesn’t disappear while baking! We can truly create the BEST with Argo®.
Lemon Crinkle Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cream together the butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar.
- Add the egg, lemon extract, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix until light in color and creamy.
- Add in the dry ingredients (flour, 1 tbsp of Argo® Corn Starch, baking soda and salt), mix into the dough. Mix until completely combined. The dough will be soft.
- Mix in the yellow food coloring until you’ve achieved your desired color.
- Scoop the cookie dough out into 1 1/2 tbsp portions (#40 scoop).
- Roll first in the remaining granulated sugar and then in a mixture of the powdered sugar and remaining cornstarch.
- Arrange on a parchment or silicone lined cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375° F for 7-10 minutes, until the cookies flatten, spread and begin to crackle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.