Ultra chewy and super chocolaty cookies, with perfectly crisp and buttery edges that make this cookie as good as it gets! It is a Dark Chocolate Cookie loaded with milk chocolate chunks.
Insomnia Double Chocolate Cookie Copycat
These amazingly delicious cookies get their name from the late night cookie delivery shop Insomnia, not from the buzz you get after eating this intensely chocolatey cookie.
Insomnia is a cookie shop that started on the east coast based on the premise that people want warm cookies delivered to their house until 3 in the morning. Turns out, they were right! Insomnia cookie shops are now popping up all over the country with over 200 stores and more sprouting up all the time!
If you have been following my cookie recipes for a while, you know that I am known for huge and thick cookies. These are totally different but equally delicious! These are smaller and thinner cookies but, OH MY! They are so dang chewy! And unlike most of my other cookie recipes which use all butter, these bad boys use a mix of butter and margarine which lead to a crisp, melt in your mouth texture! I guarantee, you will love these double chocolate cookies!
Ingredients for Insomnia Double Chocolate Cookies
- Margarine- The combination of butter and margarine gives these cookies a delightfully buttery crispness.
- Brown Sugar- The brown sugar gives these cookies a depth of flavor and helps keep them soft.
- Egg– Just one egg for these cookies
- Corn Syrup- Corn syrup in cookies helps keep them soft and super fudgy.
- Molasses- This gives the sweetness of the cookies a wonderful depth.
- Vanilla– use your favorite brand. I like to use either Watkins or Lorann Oils.
- All Purpose Flour
- Dark Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder– This is sometimes called black cocoa. This will give you that dark chocolate cookie Insomnia Cookies is known for.
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chunks- Insomnia cookies uses milk chocolate chunks in their double chocolate cookies. I have a hard time finding milk chocolate chunks in my grocery store so I usually chop up a bar of milk chocolate. You could use milk chocolate chips, too.
How to Insomnia Double Chocolate Copycat
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your pans with parchment paper or a silicon mat and set aside. I actually prefer parchment paper for these cookies as they aid to their crispy edges.
In a stand mixer, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the butter, margarine, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until it’s well combined.
Add in the egg, corn syrup, molasses and the vanilla. Mix it until it’s combined. Next we will add in the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Mix them until the dough just comes together, you do not want to overmix the dough once the flour has been added. And add in the chocolate chunks.
Portion out the dough into 2 1/2 tbsp portions. If you use dough scoops I used my #50 scooper and just scooped out 2 balls and rolled them together.
Place the dough balls on the prepared cookie sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes. You will know they are done when they flatten, spread and start to crack at the edges. .
Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Store the cookies in an airtight container for 3 days, or freeze them for up to 3 months.
How to reheat Insomnia Cookies
If you want to just reheat one cookie, popping it in the microwave for about 5-8 seconds usually does the trick. If you are wanting to reheat multiple at the same time, letting them warm up in a 350° oven for 3 minutes works wonderfully.
How to Freeze baked Insomnia Cookies
The last thing we want is for all of our cookies to freeze together- so it is important to place all of your cookies on a baking sheet in a single layer and put the entire pan in the freezer for about 1 hour. That will freeze each cookie individually. At that point, you can toss them all into a zip top bag and you’ll still be able to take one cookie out at a time
More Insomnia Cookie Recipes
- Insomnia Sugar Cookies
- Insomnia Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Insomnia Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Insomnia Peanut Butter Chip
Insomnia Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line you baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer, cream together the margarine, butter, brown sugar and sugar until well combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and add in the egg, corn syrup, molasses and vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder baking soda and salt, mix until the dough forms.
- Mix in the chocolate chunks.
- Portion the dough out into approx 2 1/2 tbsp portions. I use two scoops from my #50 scoop for each cookie. Roll into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. The cookie will flatten, spread and the edges should start to crack when they are ready to come out of the oven.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.